FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Compared to the book

<<

Link

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 17th, 2016, 4:42 am

Compared to the book

I didn't read the book since I never had it but I've seen the movie. What exactly did they leave out? What did the book have that the movie didn't?
<<

Deitus

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post October 17th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Re: Compared to the book

We could list them, even though that is a long list tbh. However, you would not get nearly the same enjoyment as you would reading the books yourself.
<<

Link

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 18th, 2016, 4:37 am

Deitus wrote:We could list them, even though that is a long list tbh. However, you would not get nearly the same enjoyment as you would reading the books yourself.

How so? One example?
<<

Deitus

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post October 18th, 2016, 2:49 pm

For example Peeves the Poltergeist.

If I told you he was a poltergeist who caused mischief at Hogwarts, you would glance over it and thats it.

You'd miss all the things that book fans like about him, and cant really fill you in by just describing him.

There are dozens of little additions like Peeves that the movies completely skip over.
<<

Link

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 20th, 2016, 4:47 am

Deitus wrote:For example Peeves the Poltergeist.

If I told you he was a poltergeist who caused mischief at Hogwarts, you would glance over it and thats it.

You'd miss all the things that book fans like about him, and cant really fill you in by just describing him.

There are dozens of little additions like Peeves that the movies completely skip over.

Don't know how I missed this. I will need to read the book and find out ;D Thank you.
<<

harryfan95

First Year
First Year

Post October 22nd, 2016, 3:41 pm

It's really not all that different. The first film is probably the most faithful in the series (though the second one was pretty faithful too). Like Deitus said, there are some characters that are cut out. These characters would have just been filler in a movie version (because what works in a book doesn't necessarily work in a movie), so it didn't effect the story much. But, part of the book's charm was these characters, and it's one of the things that makes it worth it to read the book.

If you've seen the extended version, it's a better version IMO, even though the characters that were cut still aren't in it.

Really the only major change is the reason why Draco, Harry, Hermione, and one other kid (a different kid in the movie than in the book) have to go into the forest with Hagrid. But, I'll let you find out what happens in the book.

Happy reading!
"HARRY! DID YA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET A FIYA?" he asked calmly.
<<

Link

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 24th, 2016, 5:11 am

harryfan95 wrote:It's really not all that different. The first film is probably the most faithful in the series (though the second one was pretty faithful too). Like Deitus said, there are some characters that are cut out. These characters would have just been filler in a movie version (because what works in a book doesn't necessarily work in a movie), so it didn't effect the story much. But, part of the book's charm was these characters, and it's one of the things that makes it worth it to read the book.

If you've seen the extended version, it's a better version IMO, even though the characters that were cut still aren't in it.

Really the only major change is the reason why Draco, Harry, Hermione, and one other kid (a different kid in the movie than in the book) have to go into the forest with Hagrid. But, I'll let you find out what happens in the book.

Happy reading!

Thank you. I just bought the book.
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post November 26th, 2016, 10:27 pm

One of the differences that I can remember from the top of my head is the amount of detail at the start. We follow Vernon for a whole day and there are all sorts of extra appearances from the the magical world. I love it!

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone