FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How did he do it?

<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 18th, 2014, 4:42 pm

How did he do it?

How did Professor Quirrell get through the wizard's chess part without even playing it? :/
"How dare you stand where he stood. Tell them how it happened that night, tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him! Tell them!"

Harry to Snape in the great hall, Deathly Hallows Part 2.
<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 18th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Re: How did he do it?

He did play, and after the match the chess pieces probably rearranged themselves and went back to their starting position, so other people would have to win a game of chess as well before they could move on to the next room (unlike the troll that only had to be defeated once).
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 19th, 2014, 11:49 am

The troll was guarding the stone?
"How dare you stand where he stood. Tell them how it happened that night, tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him! Tell them!"

<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 19th, 2014, 12:13 pm

After the wizard's chess there were two more rooms in the book that the movie didn't show. In one of them there was a troll, but it wasn't the one that sneaked into Hogwarts on Halloween. This one was bigger, but it had already been knocked out, so Harry and Hermione could go to the next room just like that.
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 19th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Ohh right. How did Quirrell know how to keep Fluffy asleep?

<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 19th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Quirrell met Hagrid in a pub, where he talked Hagrid into a card game by setting a dragon egg as a prize (that's where he got Norbert from). However Hagrid didn't know it was him, because he was cloaked and didn't show his face. During their game they were talking about dangerous creatures and in the course of their conversation, Hagrid got on to a certain three-headed dog and let slip how to get past Fluffy (probably because he was drunk already).
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 19th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Ohh I get the story way better now! I've started reading the book and I'm understanding it a bit better now that I'm on this aswell. So was Quirrell bewitched or was he just a Death Eater

<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 19th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Quirrell met Voldemort in Albania. He hadn't been a Death Eater up to that point, but Voldemort talked him into it. This is why Quirrell tried to steal the stone, once when it was in Gringotts and once more when the troll was wandering through Hogwarts. Quirrell had been made fun of in his youth, because he had been so timid and weak, even though he had actually been quite intelligent. That's why Quirrell wanted to prove himself, so he decided to search for Voldemort (though his initial plan wasn't to become a Death Eater).
<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post August 20th, 2014, 5:33 am

Quirrell was never a death eater. He was possessed by Voldemort. He took over Quirrell's mind.

In pottermore, it is said that he was in fact turned into a temporary Horcrux.

Quirrell himself tried to resist and fight Voldemort but he was too strong.

And later on, when Quirrell was horribly burned by Harry, Voldemort left the damaged Quirrell to die.
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 20th, 2014, 8:56 am

Thank you! So Quirrell was a good man until the day he met Voldemort?

<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post August 20th, 2014, 9:42 am

Well, I don't see Quirrell as a bad person even when he was doing things for Voldemort as he was not in control of his own mind. I see Quirrell as a good person who made mistakes.

I see him as a man who desperately wanted approval and acceptance from others because he was laughed at all his school life. I think he sooo desired to be taken seriously, be noticed and be respected that he was blinded by that desire. And that led him to make a mistake of trying to search for Voldemort, thinking that by doing so, he would gain recognition. I think it was that same desire that also prevented him from being able to see the potential dangers of interacting with a person like Voldemort (shadow of himself or not) and underestimating him.

Quirrell was not a bad person. Just a person who grew up poorly mentally and emotionally that drove him to do something that he might not have done if no one laughed at him or bullied him while growing up.
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 20th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Ohh right so does it say who bullied him? I reckon it was JAMES POTTER ;)

I've just hit 50 posts!

<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 20th, 2014, 9:31 pm

We don't know about Quirrell's ecaxt age. It's possible that he and James were attending school at the same time, but presumably that wasn't the case, because a connection between them has never been mentioned. It wasn't said who exactly bullied Quirrell, to me it sounded rather like he was an outsider in general.

And congratulations, now you're a squib. 50 more posts and you're at Hogwarts. :D
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 20th, 2014, 11:09 pm

49 to go, if we keep chatting on this I'll be at Hogwarts, haha!

So did he have parents?

<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post August 20th, 2014, 11:50 pm

No idea if they were around at the time of death. Quirrell was a half-blood, though. No mention of whether it's wizard father/muggle mother or the other way around.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post August 21st, 2014, 9:31 pm

It would of been very funny if Quirrell got stuck playing wizard chess and had to ask Voldemort to help him out :lol:
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 21st, 2014, 9:39 pm

Kurgan, that would be the funniest thing ever! ;)

<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post December 14th, 2016, 7:57 pm

In the fifth book Harry said to Umbridge when she mentioned Defence Against The Dark Arts teachers that Quirrell was a good teacher but he just had Voldemort on his head.

Before Defence Against The Dark Arts, which Quirrell couldn't teach twice because Voldemort made a curse that a no witch or wizard could only teach for a year because Dumbledore didn't want him to teach it.
Quirrell taught Muggle Studies.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone