FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Harry Potter And The Philosphers Stone

<<

Hedwig19

Muggle
Muggle

Post February 16th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Harry Potter And The Philosphers Stone

So honestly what did people think of the First Movie?

Gotta do a focus group for college so thought here was the best place to get some questions answered by the fans :D
Plus I'm a massive Harry potter addict myself :P
<<

Nucky Luciano

Heir of Slytherin
Heir of Slytherin

Post March 3rd, 2013, 8:30 am

Re: Harry Potter And The Philosphers Stone

It's awsome.. Colombus should stay for entire series.. He made two great movies PS and COS and then that git ruined everything and made POA the worste movie in HP series.. But I really liked PS.. It's my 4th favorite HP movie.
I'll make you an offer you can't refuse
<<

Amanda

The Potters
The Potters

Post March 3rd, 2013, 3:05 pm

I think the first movie is great! But like the other Harry Potter movies as well.
<<

Diagon Ellie

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post March 3rd, 2013, 9:16 pm

Paulie Cartman wrote:It's awsome.. Colombus should stay for entire series.. He made two great movies PS and COS and then that git ruined everything and made POA the worste movie in HP series...

I fully agree with all of the above! I've lost count how many times I've re-watched PS and COS, while POA became my worst cinematic disappointment ever.
<<

Kate Granger

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 13th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Re: Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone

I like it as it brings back nice memories.
<<

Griphook

Squib
Squib

Post August 18th, 2014, 2:36 pm

I think it's the best movie..it's certainly my favorite anyway.
"How dare you stand where he stood. Tell them how it happened that night, tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him! Tell them!"

Harry to Snape in the great hall, Deathly Hallows Part 2.
<<

stefanvh

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Post August 22nd, 2014, 3:57 pm

It's my favourite. It went by the plot and canon. It didn't deviate.

Now, if only I could say the same for the others apart from the Chamber of Secrets...
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

<<

Pineapple

First Year
First Year

Post October 6th, 2014, 4:16 am

Just watched this one today. I loved how Hermione says that she'd rather being expelled from Hogwarts is worse than death. I'm still annoyed at the fact that Rowling made Harry a whiz at being a seeker. Should have given that to someone else. I have the same qualm with Hermione being the smartest witch/wizard of her age. Why couldn't they have been regular? They didn't need those special traits.
<<

Thornunicorn

Night Wonder

Post October 6th, 2014, 2:25 pm

stefanvh wrote:It's my favourite. It went by the plot and canon. It didn't deviate.

Now, if only I could say the same for the others apart from the Chamber of Secrets...

Yes, the movies were ruined by missing parts and some really strange added parts like the fire in the Burrow in 6
“Two hundred Romans, and no one’s got a pen? Never mind!” -Mars, the god of war
<<

Pineapple

First Year
First Year

Post October 8th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Did anybody find it unrealistic when Hagrid bent Vernon's rifle ? If he was bending it down that hard wouldn't it have ripped out of Vernon's grip, especially since Vernon was taken by surprise ?
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post October 8th, 2014, 4:42 pm

stefanvh wrote:It's my favourite. It went by the plot and canon. It didn't deviate.

My thoughts exactly.
<<

Thornunicorn

Night Wonder

Post October 9th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Pineapple wrote:Did anybody find it unrealistic when Hagrid bent Vernon's rifle ? If he was bending it down that hard wouldn't it have ripped out of Vernon's grip, especially since Vernon was taken by surprise ?

Uhhh ,Pineapple? Didn't you know that- Harry Potter is not realistic at all
<<

Pineapple

First Year
First Year

Post October 10th, 2014, 11:11 pm

Thornunicorn wrote:
Pineapple wrote:Did anybody find it unrealistic when Hagrid bent Vernon's rifle ? If he was bending it down that hard wouldn't it have ripped out of Vernon's grip, especially since Vernon was taken by surprise ?

Uhhh ,Pineapple? Didn't you know that- Harry Potter is not realistic at all

Good point. But I thought it was only supposed to be unrealistic in regards to magic being in that world but not towards something like what I mentioned above.
<<

Thornunicorn

Night Wonder

Post October 11th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Good point. But I thought it was only supposed to be unrealistic in regards to magic being in that world but not towards something like what I mentioned above.

Movies have to be unrealistic at some measure. Have you ever shouted out to the people in the movie that they are doing the wrong thing and being idiots? Ok, Well, I did (and it never helped).
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post October 14th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Love PS. This film was the first introduction i had to Harry Potter and i loved it. It was magical, enticing and great to watch. CoS the same... i even really like PoA (but its my fave book so what can i say)...
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post March 22nd, 2015, 4:56 pm

Its always said that the first two films are the best.

There was more than snakes in the zoo, Harry had a lemon lolly, Dudley and his friend Piers came they had ice cream. They went to the restaurant.
Well Snape was supposed to be protecting the stone.
How about him watching the Quidditch match after what Quirrel had done at the first.
Ron amazed at the 50p coin the Dursleys gave Harry for Christmas.
Hagrid got Harry a flute for Christmas that He, Ron and Hermione used to get past Fluffy not an enchanted harp which stops playing so they have to rush down the trapdoor.
Peeves!
Why was the librarian Irma Pince ever in the films? nasty woman.
Only Harry and Draco duelled in the Duelling Club. Hermione got Millicent Bulstrode's cat hair off her when she attacked her in the Duelling Club
Deleted scene Filch is a squib.
Deathday Party
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post July 10th, 2015, 5:42 pm

I really liked it, not only because I actually think it's well done compared to the others, it was my first ever introduction to Harry Potter, brought about all the magic to me :D
<<

Horcruxes

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 9th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Here's my two cents about the first film.

First of all, as I once said in my introduction post on here: I started reading the books in 2000 at the age of eleven so I was there from the beginning when it comes to the movies. At that age you don't question the changes from book to film as much as you do when you're older, but I do think that, flawed how his films sometimes were, Chris Columbus had a real sense of loyalty to Jo's books. Hardly anything is left out of the books in Film 1 and 2 but the stuff that IS left out is by default the stuff that people really would have liked to have seen (for instance Nicholas' birthday party) but then the decisions to leave things out or alter something still made sense back in those days. Tonally I think PS was perfect: they did a great job setting up Harry's world, I loved the Diagon Alley and Hogwarts sets/locations and the only really criticism I have about the look of the film is one that they have already mentioned themelves: there really wasn't enough time to do the special effects justice. Especially by today's standards I think the film only shows its age when those special effects come on.

While still true to the book there are some things that still annoy me to this day. For instance, in hindsight I think they could have done the flashback scenes of Voldemort in Godric's Hollow a little better. I know it was supposed to be a children's film but that scene is, to me, cringeworthy. Voldemort is not scary or intimidating at all and they could at least have given some more thought to his wand which would be COMPLETELY different in the later films. This also goes for Voldemort's face at the end of the film -- I mean, they knew they would have to cast an actor as Voldemort at some point three years later so why create a completely digital creature WITH A NOSE and a scar on his cheek that does not match the description in the books at all? I thought I'd catched Chris Columbus saying in an interview once that this was the one thing for which he would go back and change the film -- so it matches Ralph Fiennes' portrayal in the later films.

While we're on the subject of portraying important characters, I think they did a great job on the trio as well as Hagrid, McGonnagall, Snape and Dumbledore BUT even though I still think of Richad Harris' portrayal as superior I thought the costume department got him completely wrong by dressing him in heavy dark red robes instead of the bright sparkling starry blue as Jo often describes him. Don't get me wrong: I equally disliked Michael Gambon's awful "funky" look from POA onwards but I feel they could have payed a little more attention to this. The heavy robes made him look static and slow while he was supposed to be an agile man for his age. Such a shame that Richard passed away -- I do sometimes think of those great scenes in HBP and DH and how he would have played them.

Last but not least John Williams' music for the film is of course unequalled in every way and "Leaving Hogwarts" may still be my favourite piece of Harry Potter music to this day.

8)
<<

harryfan95

First Year
First Year

Post March 31st, 2016, 12:36 am

I think that the first Harry Potter movie is a great movie.

I was in the middle of reading the third book for the first time when I decided to check out the first movie from the library and watch it.

Being more familier with the trailers for the later movies, I was expecting something darker, which I thought would ruin the way I envisioned the book. As it was though, I was very pleased with the movie. It captured the spirit of the book perfectly, and it had the cast at its best.

I like the first two films a lot. I think the later movies got a little bit TOO creative. When I first read the book, I imagined the magic wands to be very generic looking. The first two movies used generic wands. The later movies used a different design for each wand, which wasn't only unnessesary, but created a continuity error, as the wands designs changed in between films. And do I even have to mention Dumbledore? Richard Harris literally WAS Dumbledore, exactly how I had pictured him. It's so sad that he died after the second movie. And Micheal Gambon didn't play the part well at all. I wish Ian McKellan had excepted the role, because he did good as Gandalf in LOTR.

The first Harry Potter movie is a classic, in my opinion. It just has that feel to it that you can never forget.
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post November 26th, 2016, 10:36 pm

It's a fun film to watch - I love it - but I wouldn't call it one of my favourites primarily because it's not as dark as the later ones. It's still a nice way to be introduced to the characters.

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone