question about Quirrel.

<<

RxQueen

Squib
Squib

Post March 10th, 2009, 1:48 pm

question about Quirrel.

Is he just bewitched or is he like a *death eater/voldy supporter*
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

TEAM EDWARD!
<<

beckylovesriddle

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post July 23rd, 2009, 3:35 pm

he's a voldie supporter :) he lets him use his body he hasnt been bewithched :)
"If I say it myself, Harry, I've always been able to charm the people I needed."

<<

harry_tom_albus

First Year
First Year

Location: probs in the living room listening to harry potter and playing COD

Post August 1st, 2009, 9:15 am

voldy persuaded him to be a voldy supporter
:)
<<

Rip The Pure

Muggle
Muggle

Post February 27th, 2011, 4:58 pm

I think he was voldemort then he came back alive somehow.
<<

Professor Sprout

Squib
Squib

Post October 4th, 2012, 8:04 pm

What are you talking about lol? ^
Avada Kedavra - Expelliarmus

Would of be much better if Voldemort would of survived.
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post October 5th, 2012, 12:37 am

Rip The Pure wrote:I think he was voldemort then he came back alive somehow.

Thats not possible. He was a man by him self. Yes he did have part of voldemort. But he wasn't voldemort him self. Have you read the books?
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

NimbusHeart23368

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 16th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Wasn't he kind of possessed by Voldemort?
Or at least by the Idea of power that Voldemort could give him?
<<

dreamer_x

Post December 16th, 2012, 9:57 pm

He wasn't possessed as such, he did it willingly. If you remember in Chamber of Secrets, Ginny was possessed and couldn't remember how she ended up in places and what had happened. Quirrell knew exactly what he was doing, he was a coward really and he gave in to Voldemort, he was cowardly but greedy, he wanted to be involved with someone who would have power.
<<

NimbusHeart23368

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 16th, 2012, 10:54 pm

I always wondered if that was the only thing you could use to find out if you were possessed. This not knowing what happened. I mean, we only know for real one character who was possessed, Ginny, but maybe there are some other kinds of being possessed that we don't know about. So, maybe Quirrell was kind of possessed after all. As I said, maybe only possessed by the idea of power.
<<

dreamer_x

Post December 17th, 2012, 5:07 pm

True, that's possible, but surely if there were other ways of knowing you were possessed, JK would have let us know about them in Order of the Phoenix [spoiler]when Harry thinks he could be being possessed, Ginny asks him if he has ever found himself in a place and not known how he got there and he says no, if there were any other feelings, Ginny could have mentioned it then, no?[/spoiler]
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post November 14th, 2013, 5:36 am

Re: question about Quirrel.

This appears to be the conclusive answer, as it appears to be from Pottermore:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twoapennything/6532510725/lightbox/

Summary: he did deliberately seek out Voldemort, but not to join him. He believed he could control the encounter with Voldemort, but was wrong: once Voldemort found out he was a teacher at Hogwarts, he took immediate possession of him, and Quirrell was powerless to resist. He did put up some feeble resistence, but Voldemort was too powerful for him.
<<

Stevie97

Muggle
Muggle

Post November 17th, 2013, 1:39 pm

I know this doesn't have much to do with the original question but does anybody notice how in the Leaky Cauldron (in the movie) Quirrell is afraid to touch and shake Harry's hand but then at the end during his battle with Harry, he willingly touches him and then when it affects him he has no idea what's happening "what is this magic?!?" I've always wondered about that. Probably just a plot hole.
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 20th, 2013, 10:29 am

Stevie97 wrote:I know this doesn't have much to do with the original question but does anybody notice how in the Leaky Cauldron (in the movie) Quirrell is afraid to touch and shake Harry's hand but then at the end during his battle with Harry, he willingly touches him and then when it affects him he has no idea what's happening "what is this magic?!?" I've always wondered about that. Probably just a plot hole.

I don't think that Quirrell ever knew that Harry's touch could harm him, I think Voldemort was simply repulsed by Harry's presence and Quirrell was feeling it...
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post December 11th, 2013, 1:44 am

Stevie97 wrote:I know this doesn't have much to do with the original question but does anybody notice how in the Leaky Cauldron (in the movie) Quirrell is afraid to touch and shake Harry's hand but then at the end during his battle with Harry, he willingly touches him and then when it affects him he has no idea what's happening "what is this magic?!?" I've always wondered about that. Probably just a plot hole.

As far as the movie goes, this most likely was just a mistake. In the book, Quirrell does shake Harry's hand in the Leaky Cauldron. He's only described as wearing his purple turban once Harry first sees him at the staff table at Hogwarts. The day he meets Harry in the Leaky Cauldron is the same day he fails to get the Stone from Gringotts, and Quirrell says in the book that after he failed to get the Stone Voldemort was 'most displeased' and 'decided to keep a closer watch on me'.

There's another option for why in the movie Quirrell didn't shake, though: I forget whether Hagrid still says this in the movie or not, but in the book he says Quirrell is, among other things, scared of his own students, so it could be just a typical Quirrell thing, and not a sign at all that he knows he'll get burnt. I forget how the scene goes in the movie, though, so I could be wrong.
<<

DarkSage

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 1st, 2014, 6:25 am

I don't think he was bewitched nor was he a supporter. I think he was forced to follow Voldemort's orders. So he was acting under duress...
<<

Amol

First Year
First Year

Post January 1st, 2014, 5:57 pm

I don't think he was bewitched nor was he a supporter. I think he was forced to follow Voldemort's orders. So he was acting under duress...

No,i disagree with you . He was clearly a death eater.Voldemort was not strong enough force Quirrel to do things.and even if he was then not all time. Quirrel had more than enough opportunities to escape from him,but he didn't try to escape.He could have asked dumbledore protection who was very near to him .If there was slightest guilt in him he would have turned himself in to dumbledore.He was a bad guy.
<<

DarkSage

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 1st, 2014, 9:13 pm

^ That's a good point. I never considered he could have escaped. I do think he was following orders mainly because he was so scared of Voldemort.
<<

Pineapple

First Year
First Year

Post October 8th, 2014, 1:53 pm

RxQueen wrote:Is he just bewitched or is he like a *death eater/voldy supporter*

I think that he was partially possessed. At least. I mean, Voldemort's face was fused to the back of his head. Wouldn't that mean that their brains would be blended together or brain wires (I have no medical knowledge.) would be crossed or something ? If so, wouldn't that mean that Voldemort was in control of Quirrell to some degree, bewitching or possessing him ?
<<

Thornunicorn

Night Wonder

Post October 9th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Re:

NimbusHeart23368 wrote:Wasn't he kind of possessed by Voldemort?
Or at least by the Idea of power that Voldemort could give him?

Possessed? I don't think so. It was more like Voldemort sticking out of his head. :D
“Two hundred Romans, and no one’s got a pen? Never mind!” -Mars, the god of war

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone