FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Should Movies Even be Existent?

<<

chorne

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post January 16th, 2009, 6:44 pm

I personally like the films. The books are great, but sometimes I just do not want to think as hard and would like someone else to lay it out for me. It might not be perfect or go along great with the books, but it does entertain you with the characters you enjoy from the books. A friend described the movies as a book report that only scored a C+; some of the info was there, some was left out, and some who knows where it came from.
<<

Mike Malfoy

Squib
Squib

Post February 17th, 2009, 7:45 am

I believe the movies help the books, you gotta think it this way, Movie = more Imagination. Why? cause when you read the book, you have everthing pictured out, the school, the teachers, and etc.
Pure Blood Status.

Slytherins are cunning folk use any means,
to achieve their ends.

MudBlood's Alert!
<<

Mike Malfoy

Squib
Squib

Post February 17th, 2009, 7:45 am

I believe the movies help the books, you gotta think it this way, Movie = more Imagination. Why? cause when you read the book, you have everthing pictured out, the school, the teachers, and etc.
Pure Blood Status.

Slytherins are cunning folk use any means,
to achieve their ends.

MudBlood's Alert!
<<

beckylovesriddle

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post July 23rd, 2009, 3:26 pm

i like the fact that the films exist :) it lets us looko forward to something now the books are all out :)
"If I say it myself, Harry, I've always been able to charm the people I needed."

<<

ThatNixonKid

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 25th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Re: Should Movies Even be Existent?

starry_nite wrote:I'm against there ever being movies to begin with.
Just having books encourages kids to read more anyway. There are scores of people who think that their knowledge of the movies, (which don't even come close to the books' pwning qualities) suffices. I think Rowling got a little taste of wealth, and became a sort of...corperate sell-out.

from the books alone rowling made more mony probably everyone on this forum will make in a life time. the movies didnt come out until a few years after. i think movies are good. it helps those with little imagination. or people that have reading disabilities or struggle with books. however. OotP and HBP should be remade imo. and made good.
<<

eni

First Year
First Year

Post July 27th, 2009, 9:10 am

I don't mind the movies. A lot of people only read the books because they enjoyed the movies.

I don't agree that JK 'sold-out' by converting them into movies. She saw the opportunity, and took it. I don't think anyone with a mind would turn down that opportunity. No-one's forcing people to watch them, and most people are only watching them to compare the movies to the books too.
<<

CaitlynRadcliffe

Second Year
Second Year

Post August 10th, 2009, 6:08 pm

GinnyX wrote:Well, she was approached about making the books into movies, so I don't blame her for making money from them. She wasn't out to make money from the films in the first place. She didn 't seek out the film makers, they came looking for her.

I think the films were a brilliant idea because they were what got me to read the books in the first place.

EXACTLY, If it werent for me hearing about Harry Potter I wouldnt have picked up an interest in reding in the first place [i just re-ordered the whole book series to read it all over again] anyways I think the movies give me a better visual of everyhing...because when I read I need more of a "visual" to understand what i'm reading..so the movies help ALOT in that case...I think the movies are THE BEST! :]
(I MADE MY SET!)
<<

Bacchus

First Year
First Year

Post August 10th, 2009, 6:56 pm

I didn't get into HP until I saw the first movie on DVD in 2002. The rest is history.

I think Rowling got a little taste of wealth, and became a sort of...corperate sell-out.

In that case, then the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien sold out by allowing LOTR to be made into a movie trilogy.

As a more recent example, we're getting our first Percy Jackson movie next year. Does that also make Rick Riordan a sellout?

My Edward isn't from Forks, either.
<<

PotterMarauder

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 23rd, 2011, 9:00 pm

starry_nite wrote:I'm against there ever being movies to begin with.
Just having books encourages kids to read more anyway. There are scores of people who think that their knowledge of the movies, (which don't even come close to the books' pwning qualities) suffices. I think Rowling got a little taste of wealth, and became a sort of...corperate sell-out.

If you put it that way, then I agree that people should all read the books. But for those of us who HAVE read them, the movies are definitely an added bonus. I think it was worth it to make the movies for the book fans, even though some people have only seen the movies.
Image Image
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post January 9th, 2014, 9:09 am

I felt there was no real need to make the movies. The creation of these movies has resulted in less people reading the books now.
Last edited by The Prisoner of Azkaban on February 25th, 2014, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Amol

First Year
First Year

Post January 9th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Those who are against movies just stop watching.No need to bore others who liked them .Believe it or not movies increased the popularity of books. Movies are fantastic.Many HP fans are there because of movies .Those who wants to read will read regardless of movies.JKR agreed to make films and I am glad that she did .There is absolutely nothing wrong making money from your hardwork .

-- January 9th, 2014, 9:27 pm --

Those who are against movies just stop watching.No need to bore others who liked them .Believe it or not movies increased the popularity of books. Movies are fantastic.Many HP fans are there because of movies .Those who wants to read will read regardless of movies.JKR agreed to make films and I am glad that she did .There is absolutely nothing wrong making money from your hardwork .

-- January 9th, 2014, 9:27 pm --

<<

StormCauldron

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 11th, 2014, 10:44 pm

movies and books are two different media. You will always hear people say 'the book is better', but that is mainly because a book can contain as much as the author wants but a director has the limit of maximum 3 hours. If you understand that, then (I hope) you also appreciate the films. It hurts to see certain parts are left out or some characters don't turn out the way you wanted them to be, but that is kind of unavoidable.

I think that readers became Potter movie fans and Potter movie fans became readers. I myself saw the first movie at the age of 5. I was way too young to even read a book, and without the movies I would never get in touch with it. The movies add to the marvelous Harry Potter universe and when I think of Hogwarts, I think of that great castle in the movie. To me, yes, the movies should be existent.
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post February 25th, 2014, 10:58 pm

The movies may have increased awareness of the book series, which may have on some level increased their popularity, but for the most part they still just get seen instead of the books being read.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 12th, 2014, 4:48 pm

So much more in the books, I think to make the movies completely accurate to the books they would need a narrator.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

stefanvh

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Post August 12th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I'm ok with the idea of there being films, but I believe they need to be remade since they were really bad. Especially movie 6.
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post August 13th, 2014, 1:46 am

Movies are better than no movies even if they can be better.
<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 13th, 2014, 10:23 am

Gryffix wrote:movies and books are two different media. You will always hear people say 'the book is better', but that is mainly because a book can contain as much as the author wants but a director has the limit of maximum 3 hours.

That's exactly my point.

A movie has completely different functions. It doesn't want to be 100% accurate, but exciting and entertaining. That's why it has to keep it simple, so the audience is able to follow the action, and it has to keep it short, because it has not as much time as a book has.

Some people always look for the things that are different in the movie. I don't understand them. Why not simply enjoy a good movie? The main plot is still the same, so tiny changes don't bother me. After all it's called movie 'adaption', not 'imitation'.
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post August 14th, 2014, 12:34 am

DreamcoreAura wrote:
Gryffix wrote:movies and books are two different media. You will always hear people say 'the book is better', but that is mainly because a book can contain as much as the author wants but a director has the limit of maximum 3 hours.

That's exactly my point.

The movies always stay short of the 3 hour time limit. The third one is only 2:10, and the fifth one, though based on the longest book, is only about the same length. They not only don't include the additional scenes in the theatrical version that they should, but they don't even film them and then include them on the DVD later (they always do that with some scenes, but usually not the most important ones), which for me is not putting enough effort into it.

DreamcoreAura wrote:A movie has completely different functions. It doesn't want to be 100% accurate, but exciting and entertaining. That's why it has to keep it simple, so the audience is able to follow the action, and it has to keep it short, because it has not as much time as a book has.

Yeah, but if a movie by definition can't do things the same as the book, that's why I wish they wouldn't make books into movies. There is no imperative to, they just want to make money. And I especially don't like it since when they do end up making the movie people just see it instead of reading.
DreamcoreAura wrote:Some people always look for the things that are different in the movie. I don't understand them. Why not simply enjoy a good movie? The main plot is still the same, so tiny changes don't bother me. After all it's called movie 'adaption', not 'imitation'.

The main plot of the third and fourth are not the same in the books as in the movies, they're completely absent in the movies. And there are huge plot holes and continuity errors in the movies, too, which easily could have been avoided but weren't (it wouldn't have been that difficult to be accurate and entertaining, they just didn't care. Even splitting DH into two didn't stop them from cutting out so much that even those who hadn't read the books thought there was too much information missing).

There are some of the HP movies' screwups I can ignore, because the makers of those few movies out of the series put so much effort into staying accurate to the book, but so many of the HP movies are just so halfassed (*cough* movie 3 *cough*).
<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 14th, 2014, 10:00 am

In the end everybody has to decide for themselves whether or not they enjoy the film adaptions, but today it's a common thing to turn a book into a movie and I won't judge anybody because of that.

Besides I think that many people first watch the movies and then want to read the books as well. And even if not, some people just don't like reading in general, but they can still enjoy movie series. There's nothing wrong about that.

And those people who have read the books shouldn't mind deviations from the plot since they know the story anyway. I never go into the cinema and set myself the task to find every tiny difference, because movies are made to entertain the audience, so what's the point of getting annoyed by some details?
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post August 18th, 2014, 1:50 am

I don't think the way you're doing it is wrong, I'm just saying that I still find the changes made in the movies difficult to deal with. I know it does no real good to feel that way, but since the answer to the thread's question is that I do, that's what I put down. Sometimes I do get carried away when I'm on the books vs. movies subject, though; sorry if I was being obnoxious.
<<

DreamcoreAura

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 18th, 2014, 11:45 am

The Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:I don't think the way you're doing it is wrong, I'm just saying that I still find the changes made in the movies difficult to deal with. I know it does no real good to feel that way, but since the answer to the thread's question is that I do, that's what I put down. Sometimes I do get carried away when I'm on the books vs. movies subject, though; sorry if I was being obnoxious.

Don't worry, you weren't. :D
Some people can't be as lax about changes in the movies as I am, I know, and that's okay. I just think that they're giving themselves a hard time. :)
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post October 14th, 2014, 8:42 pm

I am glad they made the movies, as if they hadn't, I wouldn't have known about HP

I used to work in a restaurant and everyone was coming in with their kids going on about this amazing wizard film, so i went off to see it one saturday night with a friend, the next morning i went out, bought Ps>GoF and read them all back to back as fast as i could, and i've been hooked ever since :)
<<

Yasahiro

First Year
First Year

Post October 23rd, 2014, 6:11 pm

The movies most likely have made the serie more popular. So even if some people would refuse to read the books because they have the movies, there would sill be more people that will want to read the books because they saw the movies. and indeed everyone can decide for themselves whether they want to see them or not. Personally I'm glad they are there. I started reading the books after I saw the first movie in the cinema. The more there's out there, the better (though it should be of quallity of course).
<<

Samovila

Annamal
Annamal

Post October 24th, 2014, 2:41 am

I prefer the books but I'm glad they made the movies.
True Blue Ravenclaw
Pottermore Fan Forum Name: Samovila-FireBird
<<

Malinka

First Year
First Year

Post November 3rd, 2014, 10:15 am

Re:

Lainah wrote:IMO...writing books uses alot of imagination which could be easy then again hard...as to directing and scripts, it can be difficult...i would think it's hard to encrypt someones imagination... :lol:...i have no idea...

Yeah, I loved the way I always imagened how someone would look like in real life. Sometimes I was sooooo wrong, but other times, they really looked like how I imagined. That's what's so great when you have a movie AFTER a book. I do understand that sometimes it can make you dissapointed, but I thought it was really fun, my imagination, haha :D
PreviousNext

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone