FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Should Movies Even be Existent?

<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 29th, 2008, 8:45 pm

Should Movies Even be Existent?

I'm against there ever being movies to begin with.
Just having books encourages kids to read more anyway. There are scores of people who think that their knowledge of the movies, (which don't even come close to the books' pwning qualities) suffices. I think Rowling got a little taste of wealth, and became a sort of...corperate sell-out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

B0urne_Wizard

User avatar

Death Eater
Death Eater

Posts: 1300

Joined: May 7th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Location: Dorset,England

Post August 29th, 2008, 9:22 pm

The movies were a great bonus to the books and im all for them being in exsistance.
_-90's Lad?!?-_
Image
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 29th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Meh...

I'd prefer if the correct spelling of words and use of the English language were applied when posting. It's easier for all of us if we can decipher eachother's posts without having to work at it.

Excuse my cattiness, but it really...makes me moody. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

Misfit

User avatar

Metamorphmagus
Metamorphmagus

Posts: 6035

Joined: August 6th, 2008, 10:37 am

Location: Sandford, Gloucestershire

Post August 29th, 2008, 10:24 pm

If you don't like the films, nobody's forcing you to watch them.
<<

GinnyX

User avatar

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Posts: 32059

Joined: May 6th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Location: I'm in a New York state of mind.

Gender: Female

Post August 30th, 2008, 3:39 am

Re: Should Movies Even be Existent?

Well, she was approached about making the books into movies, so I don't blame her for making money from them. She wasn't out to make money from the films in the first place. She didn 't seek out the film makers, they came looking for her.

I think the films were a brilliant idea because they were what got me to read the books in the first place.
<<

Lainah

User avatar

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 292

Joined: August 20th, 2008, 1:06 am

Location: With Harry and Krum in USA

Post August 30th, 2008, 7:41 am

IMO...writing books uses alot of imagination which could be easy then again hard...as to directing and scripts, it can be difficult...i would think it's hard to encrypt someones imagination... :lol:...i have no idea...
Wand-9" Willow, Phoenix Feather
Patronus-Bear
Signature Spell-Expelliarmus

Image
<<

Simply Just

Mrs. Neville Longbottom
Mrs. Neville Longbottom

Posts: 3714

Joined: January 14th, 2008, 2:29 am

Location: Here and There, USA

Post August 31st, 2008, 1:58 am

I prefer books, but the movies are okay as well.
"Anyone can bring pen to paper. Only a true writer bleeds the ink." - Simply Just
"If there was no such thing as imagination, the bible would not have been created." - Simply Just
<<

B0urne_Wizard

User avatar

Death Eater
Death Eater

Posts: 1300

Joined: May 7th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Location: Dorset,England

Post August 31st, 2008, 10:51 am

I'd prefer if you did not mock my use of language.
_-90's Lad?!?-_
Image
<<

Amanda

User avatar

The Potters
The Potters

Posts: 16409

Joined: August 2nd, 2008, 4:19 pm

Location: Michigan

Gender: Female

Post August 31st, 2008, 12:11 pm

I don't read the books. I just watch the movies. I like the movies.

Image
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 31st, 2008, 3:01 pm

Amanda wrote:I don't read the books. I just watch the movies. I like the movies.

Image


I didn't intend to offend you, for the post wasn't even directed solely at you. I was merely trying to help evryone so that they didn't get caught up in their grammatical errors while trying to prove a point. :wink:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 31st, 2008, 3:03 pm

Wait---wrong person---the above is for BOurne_Wizard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

ilya150

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1460

Joined: January 16th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Location: Smoking Pipe Weed With Merry and Pippen at the Shire

Post August 31st, 2008, 3:08 pm

starry_nite wrote:Meh...

I'd prefer if the correct spelling of words and use of the English language were applied when posting. It's easier for all of us if we can decipher eachother's posts without having to work at it.

Excuse my cattiness, but it really...makes me moody. :)


wel i's thik htat the moivies arre graet.
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 31st, 2008, 3:10 pm

Amanda wrote:I don't read the books. I just watch the movies. I like the movies.

Image



How can you grasp and understand and even judge the series when your knowledge of it is based merely on the movies, which are inaccurate, and are deducted of several important fractions, more than half of the time? Hmmph...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 31st, 2008, 3:13 pm

ilya150 wrote:
starry_nite wrote:Meh...

I'd prefer if the correct spelling of words and use of the English language were applied when posting. It's easier for all of us if we can decipher eachother's posts without having to work at it.

Excuse my cattiness, but it really...makes me moody. :)


wel i's thik htat the moivies arre graet.



That's very mature of you. :roll:

I didn't say that nobody else could enjoy the movies, I merely stated my own opinion on the subject. Obviously that wasn't a very good idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 31st, 2008, 3:17 pm

Re: Should Movies Even be Existent?

GinnyX wrote:Well, she was approached about making the books into movies, so I don't blame her for making money from them. She wasn't out to make money from the films in the first place. She didn 't seek out the film makers, they came looking for her.

I think the films were a brilliant idea because they were what got me to read the books in the first place.


Yes, but she has become a corperate sell-out in the process. They may have hunted her down, but she didn't hesitate to let her beautiful literature become drowned out by...film...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 31st, 2008, 3:24 pm

Yasmine wrote:If you don't like the films, nobody's forcing you to watch them.


Never said they were. I actually semi-enjoyed the movies; (aside from all the inaccuracy) I just think that they've taken away too much from the books. What I mean, is that the movies are such a distraction from the actual literature of it. It's the same with Star Wars. I know there were no boks, yes, but the first three original movies from '77-'83 had some actual dialogue, and a good story behind them. The next three became all special effects and corny lines, much to my dismay. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

B0urne_Wizard

User avatar

Death Eater
Death Eater

Posts: 1300

Joined: May 7th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Location: Dorset,England

Post August 31st, 2008, 5:14 pm

Ok Then :D
_-90's Lad?!?-_
Image
<<

Simply Just

Mrs. Neville Longbottom
Mrs. Neville Longbottom

Posts: 3714

Joined: January 14th, 2008, 2:29 am

Location: Here and There, USA

Post August 31st, 2008, 6:48 pm

B0urne_Wizard wrote:I'd prefer if you did not mock my use of language.


Were you talking to me? Because that's how I usually type and speak... *raises eyebrow*
"Anyone can bring pen to paper. Only a true writer bleeds the ink." - Simply Just
"If there was no such thing as imagination, the bible would not have been created." - Simply Just
<<

Misfit

User avatar

Metamorphmagus
Metamorphmagus

Posts: 6035

Joined: August 6th, 2008, 10:37 am

Location: Sandford, Gloucestershire

Post August 31st, 2008, 7:01 pm

Simply Just wrote:
B0urne_Wizard wrote:I'd prefer if you did not mock my use of language.


Were you talking to me? Because that's how I usually type and speak... *raises eyebrow*

No, I think it was directed at starry_nites comment at B0urne_Wizard.
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post August 31st, 2008, 7:38 pm

Yasmine wrote:
Simply Just wrote:
B0urne_Wizard wrote:I'd prefer if you did not mock my use of language.


Were you talking to me? Because that's how I usually type and speak... *raises eyebrow*

No, I think it was directed at starry_nites comment at B0urne_Wizard.



Right you are, Yasmine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

GinnyX

User avatar

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Posts: 32059

Joined: May 6th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Location: I'm in a New York state of mind.

Gender: Female

Post September 1st, 2008, 4:58 am

starry_nite wrote:Meh...

I'd prefer if the correct spelling of words and use of the English language were applied when posting. It's easier for all of us if we can decipher eachother's posts without having to work at it.

Excuse my cattiness, but it really...makes me moody. :)


Eachother isn't a word. It is "each other"... they are two words.

Obviously none of us are perfect and for many of us English is not our first language. Flaming is not allowed on potterforums. Stay on topic and stop mocking each other or I will lock this thread.
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post September 1st, 2008, 4:07 pm

Typo. :?

I am not trying to be mean. I thouhgt I had cleared that up already....I am only trying to help. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

Notomys mordax

User avatar

Squib
Squib

Posts: 69

Joined: September 9th, 2008, 1:29 am

Location: Rhode Island

Post September 9th, 2008, 5:01 pm

While I think that essentially everything and anything that could be wrong about the films is...the idea of creating a movie based off of the series is perfectly fine. Unfortunately it would take an extremely talented director to translate them into movie format.

Granted they are not terrible movies if you consider them an entirely separate entity from the books, however at least in my eyes, the movies are so poorly paced and written that it would be nearly impossible for them to stand on their own (or to be properly understood by somebody whom had no knowledge of the series).

It also burns my rear end when you get people like my lovely boyfriend who say things like, "I haven't read the books, but I've watch the movies, they're the same thing." I have to say, that's probably one of the biggest problems I have with the movies (and my boyfriend...:))

I think that the Harry Potter books would translate better into a longer miniseries, with 5 or 6 hour long episodes devoted to each book...maybe in another fifty years....
<<

starry_nite

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 30

Joined: August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck. :P

Post September 15th, 2008, 10:55 pm

Notomys mordax wrote:While I think that essentially everything and anything that could be wrong about the films is...the idea of creating a movie based off of the series is perfectly fine. Unfortunately it would take an extremely talented director to translate them into movie format.

Granted they are not terrible movies if you consider them an entirely separate entity from the books, however at least in my eyes, the movies are so poorly paced and written that it would be nearly impossible for them to stand on their own (or to be properly understood by somebody whom had no knowledge of the series).

It also burns my rear end when you get people like my lovely boyfriend who say things like, "I haven't read the books, but I've watch the movies, they're the same thing." I have to say, that's probably one of the biggest problems I have with the movies (and my boyfriend...:))

I think that the Harry Potter books would translate better into a longer miniseries, with 5 or 6 hour long episodes devoted to each book...maybe in another fifty years....


I quite agree. I suppose I should have come up with a better name for the thread, but you most effectively clarified my argument in this...splendiferous post. Thankee. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya Trick! :D
<<

Simply Just

Mrs. Neville Longbottom
Mrs. Neville Longbottom

Posts: 3714

Joined: January 14th, 2008, 2:29 am

Location: Here and There, USA

Post September 18th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Notomys mordax wrote:While I think that essentially everything and anything that could be wrong about the films is...the idea of creating a movie based off of the series is perfectly fine. Unfortunately it would take an extremely talented director to translate them into movie format.

So you agree, Yates sucks? lol

Granted they are not terrible movies if you consider them an entirely separate entity from the books, however at least in my eyes, the movies are so poorly paced and written that it would be nearly impossible for them to stand on their own (or to be properly understood by somebody whom had no knowledge of the series).

So true.

It also burns my rear end when you get people like my lovely boyfriend who say things like, "I haven't read the books, but I've watch the movies, they're the same thing." I have to say, that's probably one of the biggest problems I have with the movies (and my boyfriend...:))

Ugh, that irritates me as well. :?

I think that the Harry Potter books would translate better into a longer miniseries, with 5 or 6 hour long episodes devoted to each book...maybe in another fifty years....

I sort of agree with this, but then again...5 or 6 hour-long episodes would be almost construde as actual movies. I never relaly did agree with a Harry Potter TV series, though, it always seemed more appropriate that they were movies...
"Anyone can bring pen to paper. Only a true writer bleeds the ink." - Simply Just
"If there was no such thing as imagination, the bible would not have been created." - Simply Just
Next

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest