FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Do you think?

<<

kingirl89

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post December 14th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Do you think?

The film should've had Draco tricking Harry about a "wizard's duel" but just wanted to get Harry in trouble for being up at night and they end up on the Forbidden Corridor with Fluffy running away?
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post January 2nd, 2017, 1:42 am

Re: Do you think?

They end up in the situation from the book anyway so with the time constraints, it wasn't really necessary.
<<

harryfan95

First Year
First Year

Post January 2nd, 2017, 3:27 am

Re: Do you think?

Actually, I thought this was one of the parts that was better in the movie than in the book. At the end of the book, Harry speculates that Dumbledore wanted him and his friends to stop Quirrel from getting the Philosopher's Stone, hence why he gave Harry the invisibility cloak in the first place (and later returned it to him when he left it in the star tower). This leads to a plausible theory that my brother and I have that involves Dumbledore giving Harry and his friends little clues throughout the story.

Think about it. Who did Dumbledore give the job of getting the stone of Gringotts to? A professional, who would be able to keep a secret? No. Instead, he chose Hagrid, a well-meaning, but very bumbling person who slips up quite often. The theory my brother and I have is that Dumbledore knew that Hagrid would slip up to Harry about the stone sooner or later, hence why he chose Hagrid to be the one to take Harry to Diagon Alley, so that they would become friends, and thus Hagrid would be more likely to slip up about the stone. And that's exactly what happened.

However, the problem is that, in order for Harry to ask Hagrid about Fluffy, he has to have seen Fluffy first. But when he does see Fluffy for the first time, it's only because Draco tricked him, and he and his friends ended up having to hide in the forbidden room. Dumbledore had nothing to do with it, and thus the theory sort of falls apart, and thus Harry's theory at the end also falls apart.

However, in the movie, the staircase moves, getting them lost, and they accidentally wander into the forbidden room, where they see Fluffy. Thus, one could conclude that Dumbledore set up the staircase to get them lost, in order for them to see Fluffy, and the theory works perfectly.

There are some things that I didn't appreciate about the scene in the movie. The first is that Neville wasn't with them like he was in the book. I've always thought of Neville as kind of the fourth member of their group, who sometimes joins them on their adventures, and cutting him from the scene (especially when he could have easily been kept in) is just not something I appreciate.

The second is that, despite the event being a complete accident in the movie, Hermione's line, "If you don't mind, I'm going to bed, before either of you come up with another idea to get us killed, or worse, expelled," is still kept in. It seems like the filmmakers were trying to keep as many lines from the book as they could, even if they made little sense in the context of the movie. A person who hadn't read the book could (and most likely would) conclude that Hermione was just in a bad mood because of the whole event, and was quick to point fingers at anybody in order to make herself feel better. After all, don't we all have times like that? And while I'm not going to argue with this (because it is plausible), it still feels quite odd when you've actually read the book before, and you know that Hermione was actually correct in the book.

Other than that, I think the scene was better in the movie than in the book. I still think that the book as a whole is better than the movie, but there are certain little things that I like better, that I wish were in the book.
"HARRY! DID YA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET A FIYA?" he asked calmly.

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone