FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Severus Snape Patronus

<<

MKemps

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 1

Joined: November 21st, 2011, 6:24 pm

Location: Canada

Post November 21st, 2011, 6:26 pm

Severus Snape Patronus

Since Severus Snape has the same patronus as Lily Potter does that mean he has her wand?
<<

hexlight

Squib
Squib

Posts: 66

Joined: November 14th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Post November 21st, 2011, 8:46 pm

No! you can adopt the patronus you want. for example, Tonks changed her patronus when she fell in love with lupin.
ImageImage
<<

hayden_potter

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1324

Joined: January 9th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Post November 22nd, 2011, 2:39 am

hexlight wrote:No! you can adopt the patronus you want. for example, Tonks changed her patronus when she fell in love with lupin.


I disagree hexlight. The patronus is a reflection of the caster's personality and a manifestation of what makes them happy. Since what often makes them happiest is their loved ones, it makes sense that the patronus would end up reflecting their loved ones. A massive shift in emotions, like admitting how much you love someone, can cause the patronus to change. This is why Tonks' patronus changed to a wolf, and why Snape's patronus changed to a doe. But it is not a conscious decision to change one's patronus - nobody can control what form their patronus takes.
Image
Image
<<

darklord25

User avatar

Squib
Squib

Posts: 73

Joined: April 17th, 2011, 8:32 am

Location: At hogwarts, creating magical items

Post November 22nd, 2011, 3:12 pm

so what if snape never fancied lily like crazy, what would his patronus be
Image

Would like to thank MadamPince for this wonderful banner
<<

hexlight

Squib
Squib

Posts: 66

Joined: November 14th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Post November 22nd, 2011, 3:50 pm

hayden_potter wrote:
hexlight wrote:No! you can adopt the patronus you want. for example, Tonks changed her patronus when she fell in love with lupin.


I disagree hexlight. The patronus is a reflection of the caster's personality and a manifestation of what makes them happy. Since what often makes them happiest is their loved ones, it makes sense that the patronus would end up reflecting their loved ones. A massive shift in emotions, like admitting how much you love someone, can cause the patronus to change. This is why Tonks' patronus changed to a wolf, and why Snape's patronus changed to a doe. But it is not a conscious decision to change one's patronus - nobody can control what form their patronus takes.


you're right. maybe I express myself wrong. it's because english isn't my language and it's hard to write in this way sometimes. I accept my mistake and you explained in a perfect way.
ImageImage
<<

hayden_potter

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1324

Joined: January 9th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Post November 22nd, 2011, 8:18 pm

darklord25 wrote:so what if snape never fancied lily like crazy, what would his patronus be


Probably a bat, everyone describes him as bat-like...

But then again, it's well known that Snape was the only Death Eater ever able to create a patronus, and it was his love for Lily which enabled him to be able to create a patronus in the first place. So now I think about it, if he hadn't loved Lily, he would probably have never been able to conjur a patronus.
Image
Image
<<

DwellingNymph

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 7

Joined: October 23rd, 2011, 9:49 pm

Location: Australia

Post November 24th, 2011, 10:53 pm

The Patronus

Severus Snape does not have Lily Evan's wand... lol...
One's Patronus changes to a Symbol (animal) that represents what makes them the most Happy(therefore Love)
<<

ChestnutHallow103

User avatar

First Year
First Year

Posts: 184

Joined: November 12th, 2011, 4:32 am

Location: Mysore,India

Post November 25th, 2011, 3:18 am

Lilly's patronous becomes a doe as she loves James whose patronous is a stag.Severus's patronous becomes a doe as he had always loved Lilly.
So,in conclusion our patronous takes the form complementing those of which we love....
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Image
<<

MadamPince

User avatar

Time Lady
Time Lady

Posts: 6323

Joined: April 7th, 2011, 6:40 am

Location: Devon, UK

Gender: Female

Post November 25th, 2011, 11:50 am

^ Not necessarily.

A patronus is produced from a happy thought, generally spouses have matching patronus's as their happy thought is of their other half.

However, I read somewhere (this may well be fanon, I can't seem to find it again) that after Fred's death, George was unable to cast a patronus ever again. He married, and (we can assume) loved Angelina Johnson but never produced a patronus.

Back to the OP - as many have already said, Snapes Patronus was a doe as he loved Lily all his life.

I honestly do not know what Snape's patronus would be if he never loved Lily. All of his actions that we see in the books are a product of his love for Lily, and therefore we never get a true representation of who Snape is/would be.
Image
Hufflepuff Prefect - Badgers Unite!
<<

ChestnutHallow103

User avatar

First Year
First Year

Posts: 184

Joined: November 12th, 2011, 4:32 am

Location: Mysore,India

Post November 25th, 2011, 12:39 pm

MadamPince wrote:^ Not necessarily.

A patronus is produced from a happy thought, generally spouses have matching patronus's as their happy thought is of their other half.

However, I read somewhere (this may well be fanon, I can't seem to find it again) that after Fred's death, George was unable to cast a patronus ever again. He married, and (we can assume) loved Angelina Johnson but never produced a patronus.

Back to the OP - as many have already said, Snapes Patronus was a doe as he loved Lily all his life.

I honestly do not know what Snape's patronus would be if he never loved Lily. All of his actions that we see in the books are a product of his love for Lily, and therefore we never get a true representation of who Snape is/would be.


What you said about is canon in a way as Joe told it some interview but I assume he would probably be able to cast a patronus later in life as he accumulates happy memories which do not include Fred.
Coming to Severus I don't think he would have had a patronus if he didn't love lilly it is said he is the only death eater(Former or otherwise) who can produce a fully formed patronus(Corporeal) The real Snape as you call him would probably be a death eater all his life and die a death eater if he never loved Lilly.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Image
<<

Mongoose

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 39

Joined: November 15th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Post December 5th, 2011, 1:55 pm

hayden_potter wrote:
darklord25 wrote:so what if snape never fancied lily like crazy, what would his patronus be


Probably a bat, everyone describes him as bat-like...

But then again, it's well known that Snape was the only Death Eater ever able to create a patronus, and it was his love for Lily which enabled him to be able to create a patronus in the first place. So now I think about it, if he hadn't loved Lily, he would probably have never been able to conjure a patronus.

Really? Where/when was this said? o.o
Image
"The last enemy to be defeated is death."
<<

Beleg Cúthalion

User avatar

A Free Elf
A Free Elf

Posts: 3388

Joined: November 19th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Location: North March of Doriath

Gender: Male

Post December 5th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Mongoose wrote:
hayden_potter wrote:
darklord25 wrote:so what if snape never fancied lily like crazy, what would his patronus be


Probably a bat, everyone describes him as bat-like...

But then again, it's well known that Snape was the only Death Eater ever able to create a patronus, and it was his love for Lily which enabled him to be able to create a patronus in the first place. So now I think about it, if he hadn't loved Lily, he would probably have never been able to conjure a patronus.

Really? Where/when was this said? o.o


I don't think Snape was the only DE able to produce a patronus. I think Bella would have been able to produce a very powerfull patronus when she was sprung from Azkaban and praised by LV for her loyalty. It would probably be a giant Basilisk (king serpent).

Many DE's are happy to serve LV, so they would have been able to produce one too, but it's really like DD not using dark magic even though he was able to. DE's look down upon 'white' Magic like the Patronus and since the Dementors are on their side they don't need them.

Where the happiness comes from doesn't matter for the Patronus, as long as it's powerfull. Umbridge was able to cast a powerfull Patronus in DH, because she wasn't using a memory, she was in her moment of happiness right there: in a position of power, prosecuting Muggleborns. Nothing to do with love, but it made her happy... the evil toad!
Image
Image
Image
"Of all the things I have lost in my life, my mind is the thing that I miss the most." - Ozzy Osbourne
<<

ChestnutHallow103

User avatar

First Year
First Year

Posts: 184

Joined: November 12th, 2011, 4:32 am

Location: Mysore,India

Post December 5th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Dobby2dmaX wrote:I don't think Snape was the only DE able to produce a patronus. I think Bella would have been able to produce a very powerfull patronus when she was sprung from Azkaban and praised by LV for her loyalty. It would probably be a giant Basilisk (king serpent).

Many DE's are happy to serve LV, so they would have been able to produce one too, but it's really like DD not using dark magic even though he was able to. DE's look down upon 'white' Magic like the Patronus and since the Dementors are on their side they don't need them.

Where the happiness comes from doesn't matter for the Patronus, as long as it's powerfull. Umbridge was able to cast a powerfull Patronus in DH, because she wasn't using a memory, she was in her moment of happiness right there: in a position of power, prosecuting Muggleborns. Nothing to do with love, but it made her happy... the evil toad!


Not able but he was the only one who ever learnt(Jo said so in a bloomsbury web chat http://www.half-bloodprince.org/snape_jkr.php I have given the link) because the death eaters would have usually fought alongside the dementors not against them.As far as the break out is concerned the dementors probably just let the Death eaters go on Tom's orders.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Image

Return to Theories and Speculation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests